Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ups and Downs

Ok - so I did hurt myself today. Once was prior to cooking. A nice burn on my finger from pulling toast out of our toaster/oven. It's easy to do when the toaster oven isn't on the counter, but on the first shelve (read: near the floor, requiring one to stoop) of a small baker's rack. Ah, small kitchens.

So, I made a marinade. It's got macadamia nuts, coffee, molassis, chili... etc etc. I'll throw some pork tenderloins in that mix and hope for the best. If it's good, I'll put it up (if I can find a link).

This recipe did lead to a health issue I've experienced before... What's the trick to dicing up jalopenos (or other) without choking to death? I'm sure a bigger kitchen with ventilation would help. Anything else? I did wisen up and do the mincing with gloves on. I have been that genius who rubs my eyes after touching chilis. But mid-way through I coughed so hard my husband (from his seat in front of football playoffs) called out in worry.

I also put together a little stir-fry using leftover beef tenderloin and uncooked broccoli. I found a peanut sauce and assembled it all in a wok. It's terrible. Not so bad that I won't eat it (I hate the waste)... but it won't be my favorite lunch this week. I think I overcooked the broccoli and the peanut sauce was just bland. I haven't really found a good peanut sauce... or good recipes for the wok. My mom had a few that I remember loving... I wish she'd kept them tucked in her files. I'd love some good resource...

I ended on a high note (thank goodness). I pulled a recipe for mashed potatoes from Saveur that's classic and simple. It was no culinary feat, but I love knowing I've got an easy, no fail recipe. It calls for a ricer and a TON of cream and butter. (Note: I halved the butter. 8 tbsp AND heavy cream just seemed like a good idea only if I was interested in drumming up a heart attack.) Jeff had two servings right from the pan.

I'm still pissed about my boule but I'm done in the kitchen for a while. Well... maybe I'll try again later.




1 comment:

Mary Elizabeth (MErider) said...

Sorry you burnt your finger! Ouch. The marinade sounds fantastic! Peanut sauce...that's trickier. How about just melting peanut butter and adding soy sauce? Oh, and please make me mashed potatoes the next time I'm over...puhleasssssseeeee.
:-)