Saturday, January 24, 2009

This economy sucks

I know, "duh", right? But it's getting me down big time. It's definitely hampering my desire to spend time writing and that's too bad because it's probably something I SHOULD do.  I am still having fun with recipes. It's just tarnished by my moods.

My husband really wanted me to try red velvet cupcakes. So, last week I found a recipe from a Bobby Flay Food Network challenge. I found the cupcakes kind of bland but Jeff went nuts for them. So did others who had some (though that's always a dicey opinion to rely on - what are they going to say 'these are terrible'?). I'm going to make them again today because I've got enough frosting left over from the first batch for a whole new batch and I halved the recipe the first time!!! I know people like it layered on but c'mon.

I really want to try another recipe to compare, but I know this one made Jeff happy so I'll stick with it this time.

By the way - if you're ever trying one of my culinary attempts - please don't give undue praise. It doesn't help me weed out the crap recipes and it makes it hard for me to tell if something is really good. I once had a friend over and I made a fish recipe. Put simply, it was disgusting. I think the fish was bad (though I had purchased it that day). The whole kitchen stunk and Jeff, who usually pokes his head in to grab some of whatever I've cooked, beelined for peanut butter and jelly. I have known this friend for years and so felt I could be candid  - oh screw it, I'm always candid - I put my fork down and made a face. My friend said "oh no, it's good" (as she pushed food around her plate). To this day, she claims it was a good meal. Not helpful... comically gracious and I love her for it... but not helpful.

Last week I made another Food Network recipe - Lamb burgers wrapped in prosciutto. These are great but I kept thinking they were missing something. Like some sort of sour cream topping. Something "cool" to go with all the richness. I'll toy with it. The recipe is definitely a keeper.

I haven't had any hilarious mistakes occur or any cuts or bruises to report. Maybe I'm more cautious when I'm bummed. Plus, everything has been easy. Blech. Save us Obama. (Yeah, I know that's not realistic, but I gotta have some beacon of hope.)

1 comment:

Mary Elizabeth (MErider) said...

Was I that friend? If so, I really liked the fish. But I love everything you make. I guess cause I'm a human garbage disposal? ;-) Seriously, you are a very good cook, my dear. Yes, the economy sucks and everyone is down. We just have to look forward and hope this new administration can clean up some of the mess as quickly as possible. I say this to myself as well...hang in there.