Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ok ok. I haven't written about my kitchen escapades in a few days. That is not to say that I haven't been cooking...

Saturday, I took a cooking class about knife skills (!!) at The New School of Cooking in Culver City. When I got there, it seemed like the class was going to be crammed but there was an open space for the longest time right next to me. So, I moved the chair and spread myself out only to quickly get a little hand-slapping from the teacher. Five minutes in and I'm the troublemaker. 

They were right to have me put the chair back  - a guy showed up right as class was starting and needed that very seat. But now I was mad that I was tsked tsked and almost left giving myself the excuse that the class was going to be too crowded (I'm such an idiot). But I stayed and, soon after an intro, we opened up the tables and had plenty of room to learn and work.

It was a great class. We learned about the various types of knives, knife care and then the techniques. I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who wants to pick up some beginner skills. It doesn't hurt, also, that the cost is only around $85  - much cheaper than some of the other cooking schools in Los Angeles. Oh, and (of course) we got to feast on the dishes we'd prepared.

I signed up for another right away - yeast breads. So excited.

By the bye, this is the first cooking class I've actually taken though it's the third I've signed up for and PAID for. The previous two were at the Epicurean school and I had planned to meet up with my good friend. Our genius idea was to get together early for a drink. One led to three and we literally ended up drunk on Sunset, riding the bull at the Saddle Ranch. I didn't become a better cook that day but I did acquire several bruises... stupid bull.

Sorry Epicurean... I'm sure you'll get your shot at my love eventually.

After class, I whipped home to practice my new learnings. I made a scalloped potato dish using a recipe the school gave us but ad-libbed with some gruyere cheese. I also made a split pea soup. Both were pretty good! I can't post the potato recipe but I can link to the soup:


I didn't have leeks (boo) so those were not included. I also blended 2/3 of the soup after it was cooked to give it a creamier flavor. I know - so genius. 

 

1 comment:

Mary Elizabeth (MErider) said...

LOL...you ended up drunk on a bull, did you. That's classic. I'm now going to be very careful around you with a knife. But you know, you inspire me. I should take a cooking class. No really, I SHOULD...cooking 101. That or I should just come to your house to eat. Hint, hint... ;-)